Wednesday, December 9, 2009

January 21, 2010 - Starman

Our next dip into the John Carpenter well comes in the form of his 'nice' alien film, Starman (don't worry - his nasty aliens are just days away).

Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen are excellent as a widowed woman and the alien who has taken the form of her deceased husaband. Bridges really sells the process of a new life form learning what it is to be human. It's got the Carpenter action set pieces you've come to know and expect, and a fantastic score (not by Carpenter, but composer Jack Nitzsche).

I honestly can't recall if I first saw the film theatrically or on video, but it's one more reason why I like Carpenter's canon. His films display a nice range for a director who doesn't stray from genre films, and even the worst have interesting high points. No need to worry - Starman is far from his worst.

We hope you'll join us for this road trip on the 21st - the day I'll turn 40.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Starman , I wrote an unsolicited script for a Starman sequel back in 1998. It was my first script and I quit college to finish it. It’s been gathering dust ever since. I sent it to Jeff Bridges and John carpenter, although I would prefer if Carpenter didn’t direct a sequel. I wrote some good f/x sequences and some interesting characters. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be involved, but I’d to see the f/x scene from the beach being incorporated, (Jeff’s manager Neil will know the one, totally plagiarised from another movie, but it would look great on film today). If anyone has any questions, email me at hansenfilm@yahoo.ie and I’ll answer them. (Although I won’t give away any plot points. And yes there is a son and indeed, I actually have the perfect casting suggestion!!

    ReplyDelete