Wednesday, January 6, 2010

40/40 Day 5 Report

What can I say. The 40 Years, 40 Movies series is like a hand picked box of chocolates - every one is a favorite!

I've seen John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 dozens of times, and I find it just as entertaining today as I did the first time I saw it. When I watch it, I'll admit I'm more inclined to see the traces of Night of the Living Dead than Rio Bravo, but those are obviously there, too. 
 

 
Darwin Joston, Austin Stoker, Laurie Zimmer (above) and Tony Burton lead a great cast, playing off each other perfectly. Stoker and Burton are more likely to be familiar to film fans, and it's a shame Joston and Zimmer didn't have more opportunities to shine after this. They share great chemistry in this film. 
 
I think it's Carpenter's first great film (of many), and on some days, it's a contender for my favorite if his. One other note - folks who enjoy mocking John Carpenter's film scores will find little to enjoy here, but for those of us who appreciate his work love it.
 
On Deck: We take a trip back in time, all the way to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

40 Years/40 Movies Series Tally:
Days Completed: 6
Movies Watched: 13
Number of unique attendees: 13
Total Attendance (cumulative number of attendees for all movies): 73

No comments:

Post a Comment