Thursday, January 7, 2010

40/40 Day 7 Report

Wow. Just got back from a trip through the stargate, and am ready to dream of monoliths.
 


I think a full appreciation of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey is dependent on familiarity with the Arthur C. Clarke novel, as the film and book were developed in parallel through a collaboration between the two men. Which is not to say the film is not successful on its visual merits alone; I think it's an amazing cinematic experience. But I do think it's fair to say that the viewer is not given all (dare I say enough) pieces of the puzzle to fully understand the implications of the story being told.
 
Like many a David Lynch film, if you're willing to throw caution to the wind and enjoy the ride, there's much on display to appreciate. If you're uncomfortable when everything isn't spelled out or explained for you, best skip this one and catch the next M. Night Shamalyan flick.
 
On Deck: We check in to the Bates Motel for a one night stay to enjoy Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

40 Years/40 Movies Series Tally:
Days Completed: 7
Movies Watched: 14
Number of unique attendees: 14
Total Attendance (cumulative number of attendees for all movies): 77

P.S. Yes, I've finally got my days synced up. I was originally counting movie nights, but the 30 days includes our Sunday days off, so I figured I should be counting those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment